About

Camp's 55th Camp Nutimik is a not-for-profit organization affiliated with the Manitoba Baptist Association. The camp was established at its present site in 1954. Through much sacrificial giving and dedicated labour, the site has been developed into a beautiful, practical, year-round facility.

Vision and Mission Statements

OUR VISION is to be a centre for Christian leadership training and outdoor skills development, providing a progression of learning experiences for children and youth.

OUR MISSION is to impact children and youth to become committed followers of Christ through Biblical teaching and discipleship; to influence Christian character through outdoor experiences; and to invest in the development of the next generation of leaders.

Statement of Faith

Click here to download our statement of faith.



Board of Directors

President:
Len Bater

Vice President:
Roland Klein

Secretary:
Amanda Jongstra

Treasurer:
Andy Behnke

Member at Large:
Harvey Mueller

Past President:
Dale Hoffman

Executive Director:
Wayne Eisbrenner

Camp Nutimik History

by Peter Aaldyk

Old Dining Hall Soon after WW2, Manitoba Baptist Churches realize the spiritual and physical value of out-of-door living, worshipping and camping. A number of men who operated trap lines and cut lumber in the then-called Whiteshell Provincial Forest knew a trapper named Van Sickle who owned property on the present Nutimik area. Rev. A Kuhn, pastor of the German Baptist Church in the River Hills area approached him to purchase a potion of his property for the purpose of building a camp for boys and girls. He agreed and sold part of his property for $1.00 to the Manitoba Baptist Triunion. Shortly after this sale, Mr. Van Sickle passed away. And so Lake Nutimik Baptist Camp began.

Buildings were started in 1954. The former Lakeside Hall was erected first. After that, a dormitory, half for boys and half for girls, was built. In the mornings, campers had to trek to the waterfront to bathe. A chapel was built and the floor covered with sawdust. Camp pastors, kitchen staff, and the camp nurse were housed in the so-called "motel" located by the waterfront. It was primitive, but it was a beginning. More cabins were built to accommodate the ever-increasing number of campers.

Old Dining Hall In 1976 the first full-time camp director, Peter Aaldyk was called. In order to provide housing for the directors family, the dormitory was moved and renovated. The first major project was to install a winterized water and sewage system to meet the demand for proper water and toilet facilities. To meet the need for better family and staff accommodation, the House on the Rock was built, mostly by volunteer labour. Numerous individuals sacrificed time, labour, finances and materials to bring the project to a successful end. In 1981, the building was dedicated to the glory of God.

In the following years, to enrich the camping experience, Jessie's Outpost and the old Fort Nutimik were built and thoroughly enjoyed by young and old. To accommodate the maintenance needs, a large storehouse was erected and later expanded. In 1988 August Mueller became the first full-time maintenance director. Old Dining Hall Under his leadership a skating rink, warm-up shed, hiking trails and steps and seating at the waterfront were developed. During these years we always appreciated the excellent support received from parks workers and officials.

In 1992, John Wahl replaced Peter Aaldyk as the director. In September 1992, the former Lakeside Hall burned down and in 1993, the present Lakeside Hall was built. In 2000, Mark Grafe replaced John Wahl as the director. During those years a new water treatment plant, office and gazebo retreat were built. There are many individuals who can reflect back to their time at camp and confirm that it was there they met Jesus Christ and found purpose for living.

Overhead Picture